Travel is not all about the money. In fact, I would argue that travelling itself shouldn’t be about money at all. That said, there are always some obvious expenses. For example, you may be leaving with nothing at all, but you’ll still need funds to buy your plane, train or bus ticket – however you choose to travel. Then you’ve got to consider how you’re going to fund your lifestyle while you’re away. Are you going to work while you’re away, or save up a large sum before you go?
We can live life on a budget, some more extreme than others. But the truth is, it’s hard to live for completely free! That’s why we’ve brought you our top 10 posts from travel experts, covering the different aspects of funding your journey.
Below you’ll find posts on saving, earning while you’re away, living on a budget and more…
Setting yourself a budget
If you’re planning a trip, it’s great to get a budget together so you know how much money you’re going to need. It also helps to get a rough idea of costs while you’re away, so you can stay on top of your funds! Check out these posts on setting a budget:
- Be My Travel Muse: The cost to travel everywhere in the world
- Lonely Planet: How to budget for a big trip
Saving money to travel
Once you’ve got an idea of where you’re going, and how much money you need to get there – it’s time to begin saving. Here’s how:
Funding the lifestyle
It’s all very well scraping enough together to book your one-way ticket (if that’s your plan!), but you also need to consider how you’re going to fund your lifestyle while you’re away. This might mean saving extra cash before you go, or planning to work while you’re away. Find out how the experts do it:
- Just One Way Ticket: How can I afford to travel and how much money I earn from travel blogging
- Anna Everywhere: How I afford to travel: Now and before I was a blogger
We all want to make our money go further, and this is very much the case when travelling. The longer you can make your money last, the longer you can travel for, right? So here are some posts about how to budget while you’re away:
- Nomadic Matt: How to travel cheap: The ultimate guide to travelling when you have no money
- Huffington Post: How to travel the world without breaking the bank
Why travelling is better than being rich
Though not necessarily about funding your travels, these stories reveal why paying for experiences is better than having material things!
- Fast Company: The science of why you should spend your money on experiences, not things
- Nomadic Matt: Why being broke is the best time to travel